Paint, Custom work & Engine on the 1955 Chevy Step Side
This is the second post is the series of my model build of the 1955 Chevy Step Side Truck. It includes info on Paint, Custom work, and engine details. Hopefully it all make sense.
Paint work begins
Paint work begins on the model with a coat of grey filler sandable primer with a mist coat of black primer sanded with 400 grit wet sandpaper. This will allow you to see low spots and scratches. Let the model dry and add more spot putty filler if needed. Wash the model pieces with a small amount of dish soap and toothbrush and let dry. Then repeat with another coat of black primer. This is followed by wet sanding using 800 grit and see if any other body work is needed to be done prior to actually painting the model with your finish color.
The model body pieces were painted several coats of DupliColor perfect match automotive black base coat. Then wet sanded using 1000 grit automotive sandpaper. Wash again with soap and water. Then I painted a couple of more coats of the black base coat and let dry or FLASH. Then followed up with a several coats of Duplicolor perfect match high gloss clear coat. These parts still need to go thru the polishing steps before assembly. For days when the weather does not cooperate we really enjoy the paint booth I got Terry for his birthday a few years ago.
The engine is from a different kit(Revell step side street machine pickup truck) since Terry had already raided the kit engine for one of his other builds. The rest of the engine parts were acquired from the misc parts box. Detail paint was added.
Well, scratch this idea. The engine would not install under the cab. So, we instead went back to the original engine that came with the kit.
I custom made door panels using .010 sheet plastic, 060 plastic half round, and 010 plastic strips. The same steps were used in bending the half round that I used during the creation of the custom headliner which can be seen on Terry’s Model Rod Shop Youtube channel. I painted the black separately from the camel pieces. Once dried I assembled all the door panels parts. To see video details of headliner creation, check out Youtube.
Everything is coming together for the interior. The custom door panels look great installed. A custom gas peddle was added after “flocking the interior. The dash has been detailed using a posco pens and chrome Molotow pen.
The wheels and tires Revell 1967 Chevelle kit and have been detailed painted. The back tires came out of the misc parts box. The chrome rims I had to cut down to fit the tires.
The wooden bed was painted and detailed using a combo of brown, burnt orange and white to closely match the camel paint of the interior. The second coat was the same combo but with some added yellow and more white to lighten it. this was repeated on the underside of the bed that I had scored using the the back side of a hobby knife to portray the same wooden boards on the top side. Then I used bare metal foil to detail the chrome strips in between the wood.
Follow along on the next blog for the finally assembly of all the parts!